Sustainable Packing is the development and use of packing which results in improved sustainability, which
doesn’t harm nature and made from recycled materials, bio-degradable, helps in reducing the environmental
impact and ecological footprint. The broad goals of sustainable packing are:
1. Functional - product protection, safety, regulatory compliance, etc
2. Cost effective - if it is too expensive, it is unlikely to be used
3. Support long-term human and ecological health
Sustainable packing is a relatively new addition to the environmental considerations for packing. It requires
more analysis and documentation to look at the package design, choice of materials, processing, and life cycle.
Companies implementing these eco-friendly actions are reducing their carbon footprint, using more recycled
materials, reusing more package components, etc.
Is my packing Environmentally Compatible?
Understand the impact…….and Act now…
- Does the packing meet market criteria for performance and cost?
- Is the packing sourced, manufactured, transported and recycled using renewable energy?
- Does the packing maximize the use of renewable or recycled source materials?
- Is the packing manufactured using clean production technologies and best practices?
- Is the packing made from materials healthy in all probable end-of-life scenarios?
- Is the packing physically designed to optimize materials and energy?
- Is the packing effectively recovered and utilized in biological and/or industrial cradle-to-cradle cycles?